Overplayed blues songs?

What tunes really get you in the Blues Groooove

Postby LindyChef » Wed May 11, 2005 5:42 am

shaugran wrote:At STLBX04--Going to Chicago (Granted it was 3 weeks before WCLX 6) I heard something like 5 different versions of the song that weekend. That was a bit much.

Are you sure you weren't mixing up the two different standards with Chicago in the title (Going to Chicago and Sweet Home Chicago)?
Become a friend of the festival on MySpace
LindyChef
Bobby 'Blue' Bland (Stormy Monday Blues)

Postby amos_lynn » Wed May 11, 2005 6:58 pm

One song I think is really great, but is played all the time is Gene Harris' Down Home Blues. It could rest for a few months...

At Last is getting a little out of hand too...and now that more people are discovering Kim Massie, her version is even getting a little too much constant attention.
amos_lynn

Postby Dr. Feelgood » Wed May 11, 2005 7:19 pm

Ugh, I really don't need to hear Gene Harris' version of that
anytime soon. It would be refreshing to hear Z.Z. Hill for a
change...hmmm, maybe I'll play that sometime.
Dr. Feelgood
Robben Ford (Help The Poor)

Postby LindyChef » Wed May 11, 2005 7:57 pm

At Last is something that always struck me as a song more appropriate for weddings and high school dances ... have never played it.

re: Down Home Blues, I don't think it's been overplayed from where I'm at, but I enjoy playing the Denise LeSalle over the ZZ Hill version. And there's a lot of other good stuff on the Harris - Down Home Blues album, like Blues for Big Foot and Stormy Weather (which I prefer to Down Home Blues)
LindyChef

Postby SaturnLeia » Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:30 am

For all that I hear complaints about Wade in the Water and Ain't No Sunshine, I love them both. In almost any version. But then again, if I really love a song it's hard for me to get sick of it, Top 40 radio notwithstanding.
[url=http://dawnxianamoon.com]DawnXianaMoon.com
Melodic folk pop infused with passion and honesty.[/url]
SaturnLeia
Allman Bros Band(Blues Ain't Nothin')

Postby Shrubwalker » Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:36 pm

Alicia Keys - Fallin Played way too much

As for Ain't No Sunshine, the eva cassidy version is amazing and really not played much at all,

And for wade in the water, the Blind Boys of Alabama doing that song is amazing and again not played much at all.
Shrubwalker
Buddy Guy(Damn Right I've Got The Blues)
Buddy Guy(Damn Right I've Got The Blues)

Postby SaturnLeia » Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:16 am

Funny, I feel like I hear Eva's version all the time. It's my favorite of them all, though oddly enough it's not my favorite version to dance to.
[url=http://dawnxianamoon.com]DawnXianaMoon.com
Melodic folk pop infused with passion and honesty.[/url]
SaturnLeia

Postby BlueDrag » Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:40 am

shaugran wrote:Over Played:
Summertime

Which version? This is one of the songs I collect avidly because I love the melody, itself. I will usually never spin any version that I've heard someone else DJ . . . frankly the ones that everybody plays are nowhere near the best, IMO. I'd agree that we can put a bullet in that Gene Harris one and perhaps a few others, but generally this is not a song that I hear DJ'ed very often. Maybe it's a regional thing? :?

--Kelly
I am Spartacus.
BlueDrag
E. Clapton(Have You Ever Loved A Woman)
E. Clapton(Have You Ever Loved A Woman)

Postby Damon » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:46 pm

Blues songs overplayed or songs for "blues dancing"? I swear the first time I've heard every trip-hop song it was overplayed after the first bar.

I just don't get it. I haven't heard a song of that type yet that has the rhythmic tension needed to blues dance. It makes me want to stumble around the dance floor like a zombie.

Maybe I just haven't heard the right stuff. Funny though because I've heard a number of songs I actually would like to listen to if I was just at home chilling, but to get up and shake my ass to?
Damon

Postby LindyChef » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:05 am

Every time I see this thread, the cynic in me wants to put up this answer
LindyChef

Postby SuperGrover! » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:06 pm

I know I'm going to get stoned and ostracized for this, but i'll go out on a limb and say i really like trip hop. No, I understand that it is not blues music, nor do I pretend it to be or present it as such. Also, if you want to be technical about it, i would not qualify the dancing done to it as blues dancing (more like simply 'dirty dancing' or something like that - still different than club grinding, though, mind you)
I was never much of a Raver, having only been to two, but i have always liked techno, especially trance. You combine that with some soothing vocals, and i like the result. Even if i didn't know 'how to dance', it would still make me want to move my body. That's just the way it makes me feel, for another person maybe a waltz makes them want to move, even if they don't know the simplest box step. I do concede that the synth beat is often very repetative and mundane, which is why i generally listen to the vocals and try to rise and fall with them.
I also think that, as far as djing trip, I personally find it much more suited for a house party instead of a public venue. I don't want to hear it as a majority of the music (or anywhere near majority) I would enjoy hearing two or three trip hop songs over the course of four hours of actual blues music, without thinking it was too much.
I do, also, concede that Portishead gets overplayed. I'm guessing that I probably can't name anything that Damon hasn't heard before, but instead of Portishead, i like to heard some Morcheeba, Tricky, Jem, and a few things off the import Erotic Lounge collection.

<ok, i'm bracing myself, start flinging the rocks>
Last edited by SuperGrover! on Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
[URL=http://www.mjbw.com/]
Image[/URL]
SuperGrover!
Gary Moore (Still Got The Blues)

Postby Damon » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:25 pm

No flinging of rocks from me. You qualified all your statements well and this is about songs you like. Who am I to tell you what you do or don't like?

I do think the music is repetitive for blues dancing and lacks any of the proper syncopations or rhythmic tension to qualify any dance to it as blues, but it is something you enjoy dancing to and you said that it is really more "dirty dancing". Whic h is cool and fun in it own right.

I've seen most people dance to it using the microblues idea as if it was a dance unto itself rather than a method of musicality intended to go with a form of dancing but hey you can't always have everything you want.

That makes me think about starting a new thead on how much I'd love "micro-blues to die a quick painless death as a "dance" and go back to being a tool of musicality iopen to dancers in the context of song and dance. hmmm...
Damon

Postby shaugran » Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:44 pm

I'd have to say that the first time I recall hearing Down Home Blues played was this past weekend at Lydia's Beachin' Blues Party. And I heard it twice. Once on the beach and once during the afterdance at the apartment. I don't remember whether it's been played at the other past blues workshops/exchanges I've been to, but now that I'm starting to DJ, maybe I'm just paying more attention to songs that are played that strike me.

Kelly, that's an interesting point about the regionallity. The versions of Summertime I usually hear are the really slow ones-I can't recall the performers though-maybe Billie and Ella. Lippy as a faster version [med tempo] (which I like) that he breaks out once in a great while.
shaugran

Postby Greg Avakian » Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:46 pm

I think one of the interesting things about hearing over-played songs at Blues Dancing events is seeing how differently people dance to them. i personally think that the person your are dancing with has a tremdous influence on how you could interpret a song. The event's vibe/environment does as well.

Since 'Wade in the water' is everyone's boogey monster these days, I'll suggest that if one does hear it, try to approach the song from a different perspective. See how your partner responds; I'd like to think that in a room full of blues dancers, I'd have a very different dance to the song than I would at a Lindy event.

Just a thought.

(for the record, 'wade' is out of my book because I know someone else will play it)
Greg Avakian

Postby TakeTheCannoli » Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:04 pm

Re: Summertime - has anybody tried Sidney Bechet's version? It's not necessarily hardcore blues as much as it is a jazz player playing blues, (i.e. the heavy triplet feel that defines most blues music isn't there,) but maybe it's worth a shot?
It was like being in a candle store without a pipe bomb. Bad news.
TakeTheCannoli

PreviousNext

Return to Music